Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Luxman L-410

The L-410 is a Class-A bias (first few watts only) integrated amp and it really runs hot. The L410 is a high-power component, and, was previously able to drive my renown power hungry Celestion SL6S with ease.

Before re-cap, you could hear same off-key note from my Emi Fujita album (as per Nait). The offending component was traced to the pair of 'white translucent' 0.047uf non-EC cap on the pre-amp board.

After re-cap using better quality components e.g Wima, OSCON, Panasonic FC, Elna Audio, EPCOS, Siemens, Rubycon, Panasonic ECA, Elna Starget, Nichicon, AVX, silver mica and, Philips BC, the L-410 became truly transparent. Pairs well with my recapped Musical Fidelity Tubalog and Marantz CDA-94.

Please be aware of the bi-polar caps in the power amp section.

I believe the L-410 is Class-A for the first 8W or so (not documented anywhere) as once the volume dial passes just over 9 o'clock you notice it run not as hot as before and the "grunti-ness" increases - in the Luxman tradition of the L-510, etc. The other 'give-away" is the use of the "shark-fin" heatsink normally found in vintage Luxman's which run hot.

The following is a pix of an original L-410 (not mine) which was located on the net.
Original pix from internet
The following is my set after almost all the electrolytic (except the pair of 15000uf) and most of the non-EC caps were replaced.
View from front after recap
The following is the top view.
From top

The following pix are close-up(s) of the various sections, after they have been recapped.

Pre-amp board
Tone control board


Power amp board

13 comments:

  1. For L 410 is not normal to be hot at all!!! Only series 5 in L series rund on A class....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are wrong. I have a L-410 from 1986 and it always has run quite hot.

      Delete
  2. Check current bias for each channel...must be 50mv (+- 10 mv)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had sent it for servicing after purchasing it - to a used hifi dealer who's technician does many vintage Luxman repairs. They said no issues and is working fine.

      Delete
    2. Hmmmmm, strange...becouse from factory and frst day my L410 runs cold to little warm and L530 hot like hell !?!
      If jou see top cover, vents are in front and back....on top of heatsink jou dont have vents and this is not normal construction for amplifier that runs on Aclass etc....check it again, output transistor current each channel must be 50mv +-10mv (service manual) dont burn that beauty ;-)

      Delete
    3. My guess is you at a cold country. I am in the tropics. It was the same for my Denon AV1D - when in NZ, it was hardly warm but in SG, it was running HOT!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Sorry do not understand the question?

      Delete
  4. I realise this ia very old thread but I have serviced many L-410 and in my experience they never run hot unless the bias is incorrectly set

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I initially thought when I 1st bought it. I got hold of the service manual and check the bias - all to spec. My guess is you at a cold country. I am in the tropics. It was the same for my Denon AV1D - when in NZ, it was hardly warm but in SG, it was running HOT!

      Delete
  5. I can confirm, don't know about the others but the L-410 does NOT run hot. It doesn't even get hot after longer listening sessions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again I believe you live in a cold country. My denon amp was running cold in NZ till I relocated to Singapore - it was HOT!!

      Delete
  6. Amplificator super.Bate multe statii.

    ReplyDelete