Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Luxman L-410

The L-410 is a Class-A bias (first few watts only) integrated amp and it really runs hot. The L410 is a high-power component, and, was previously able to drive my renown power hungry Celestion SL6S with ease.

Before re-cap, you could hear same off-key note from my Emi Fujita album (as per Nait). The offending component was traced to the pair of 'white translucent' 0.047uf non-EC cap on the pre-amp board.

After re-cap using better quality components e.g Wima, OSCON, Panasonic FC, Elna Audio, EPCOS, Siemens, Rubycon, Panasonic ECA, Elna Starget, Nichicon, AVX, silver mica and, Philips BC, the L-410 became truly transparent. Pairs well with my recapped Musical Fidelity Tubalog and Marantz CDA-94.

Please be aware of the bi-polar caps in the power amp section.

I believe the L-410 is Class-A for the first 8W or so (not documented anywhere) as once the volume dial passes just over 9 o'clock you notice it run not as hot as before and the "grunti-ness" increases - in the Luxman tradition of the L-510, etc. The other 'give-away" is the use of the "shark-fin" heatsink normally found in vintage Luxman's which run hot.

The following is a pix of an original L-410 (not mine) which was located on the net.
Original pix from internet
The following is my set after almost all the electrolytic (except the pair of 15000uf) and most of the non-EC caps were replaced.
View from front after recap
The following is the top view.
From top

The following pix are close-up(s) of the various sections, after they have been recapped.

Pre-amp board
Tone control board


Power amp board

21 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are wrong. I have a L-410 from 1986 and it always has run quite hot.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had sent it for servicing after purchasing it - to a used hifi dealer who's technician does many vintage Luxman repairs. They said no issues and is working fine.

      Delete
    2. My guess is you at a cold country. I am in the tropics. It was the same for my Denon AV1D - when in NZ, it was hardly warm but in SG, it was running HOT!

      Delete
  3. What's the overhead of this amp?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realise this ia very old thread but I have serviced many L-410 and in my experience they never run hot unless the bias is incorrectly set

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I initially thought when I 1st bought it. I got hold of the service manual and check the bias - all to spec. My guess is you at a cold country. I am in the tropics. It was the same for my Denon AV1D - when in NZ, it was hardly warm but in SG, it was running HOT!

      Delete
  5. I can confirm, don't know about the others but the L-410 does NOT run hot. It doesn't even get hot after longer listening sessions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again I believe you live in a cold country. My denon amp was running cold in NZ till I relocated to Singapore - it was HOT!!

      Delete
    2. Sorry but the amp doesn't know in which country it is being used. I doesn't have a GPS inside.
      Whether there is 20°C or 32°C in the room in summer (i'm in Italy) my L-410 NEVER gets hot.
      I often listen with volume knob between 10 and 12 o'clock position, speakers are AR 2ax. I believe the chassis reaches the temperature of around 40°C but you must listen at high volume for at least 30 minutes.
      Nice punchy bass, i like to feel it in the stomach ;-)

      Delete
  6. Amplificator super.Bate multe statii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ce parere aveti despre L430? Al meu ruleaza fierbinte daca trec cu potentiometrul de ora 10 si il tin ceva timp pe piese care il solicita. Sunetul este mai controlat decat la fostul amplificator Saba mi 215. Mai conturat

      Delete
    2. From Google translate "What do you think about the L430? My guy runs hot if I go through the 10-hour potentiometer and keep him on the parts that ask him for a while. The sound is more controlled than the former Saba amplifier 215. More contoured".

      Delete
    3. Sorry never hear the L430 before

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOppps sorry, was trying to mass delete some mass promo which was entered into this blog and pressed delete too fast

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like what I replied to another previously (above). When I was living in NZ, my Denon AV amp not even warm when I use it for hours. Same amp in SG could have cook egg after watching a movie with fan above it. Climate temperature difference.

      Delete
  9. Apologies to all those whose comments was removed erronusly ... was trying to remove some mass spamming and was pressed the delete too fast too furiously

    ReplyDelete